Saturday 10 May 2008

Curry, just not so much in a hurry.

My boyfriend is out of town for the weekend. He's off on some Scout leader weekend in Lancashire, skilling and chilling. This means trying to ride a unicycle and juggle apparently. I'm just continually scared he's going to seriously hurt himself on the thing. I have a fear of falling off bikes, and my paranoia extends to my fear of my boy falling off a unicycle. When you've had three fairly serious bike accidents, all involving your head hitting the ground with some force, it's time to wonder if you get back on that bike again.

I usually do. In fact, I bike more than ever.

Which raises the question of whether all those head bumps (I own 5 head x-rays) have done something questionable to my sanity.

Due to my boyfriend wobbling around somewhere on one wheel, this meant I was free to cook curry this evening! I was delighted - curry is perfect on a Slimming World diet, and with B hating it so much, it was the perfect opportunity for a first food post!

Now I'm a poor student, who's boyfriend doesn't eat curry, but thankfully I still have a pretty large cupboard full of spices at my disposal. I don't know where I'd be without my herbs and spices. I have a whole cupboard full - and they're all mine. None of my other housemates use herbs and spices when cooking - I don't get this. How? I didn't have some of the things called for in this recipe, like root ginger, and fresh coriander, but I improvised.

The thing is with Slimming World recipes...sometimes they don't look as good as the real thing, even if they are damn tasty.


      
Chicken Korma
Slimming World - Family Favourites Recipe Card

Serves 4
Free on Original, 3 syns on Green (Chicken as a HE)

Ingredients:

4 chicken breasts
250g very low fat natural yoghurt                           
2 tsp turmeric
2 garlic cloves, crushed
2 large onions, sliced
426ml/3/4 pint chicken stock
3 cardamom pods
1 2.5/1 inch cinnamon stick
4 black peppercorns
4 cloves
1 tsp coriander seeds, crushed
1 tbsp root ginger
1 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp chilli powder
Salt and pepper
Coriander leaves, to garnish.

1. Slice the chicken and place in a bowl together with the yoghurt, turmuric and garlic. Leave to marinate for at least 4 hours (or overnight)

2. Put the onion and chicken stock in a saucepan. Cover, and boil for 10 minutes. Reduce the heat, uncover the pan and cook gently for 20 minutes until the onion is tender, golden and syrupy. (Ok, here, I had to keep checking on the pan, because all my stock boiled away and it all went very dark and sticky...)

3. Add all the spices to the pan, cook for 3-4 more minutes. Add the chicken and yoghurt marinade. Cover the pan and simmer very gently for 45 minutes, until the chicken is cooked. (This is where it started looking odd - the yoghurt, unsurprisingly, curdled. I wish I had a gas hob, I really do.)

4. Season to taste and serve with boiled rice.

My photography has a long way to go, I know. I'm more used to landscape photos than food. It's only through practise that we improve, you I hope you will bear with me as I develop my photography, and attempt to find some good lighting in this house...

No comments: